Each month, WRS employers upload employee information and send contributions for each WRS pension plan. WRS needs accurate information to update the employee’s records. Even minor errors can affect an employee’s account balance or service credit.Monthly Contribution Templates must be uploaded and payment received by WRS no later than the 12th of the month for the previous month’s payroll. WRS will charge agencies interest for contribution payments that do not meet the statutory deadline.
Reporting Hours Worked
It is important to report the employees’ actual hours worked. Not doing so will be problematic for employees when they apply for pension benefits.
All hours, full-time or part-time, should be reported.
- Exempt salaried employees who do not receive overtime hours should report 174 hours.
- Salaried employees who do receive overtime should report 174 hours, plus any overtime hours when applicable.
- All other employees should be reported as actual hours worked.
Service is calculated monthly based on the number of hours worked according to the following schedule:
- 86 hours or more = 1 month of service credit
- Less than 86 hours but at least 40 hours = ½ month of service credit
- Less than 40 hours = ¼ month of service credit
Contribution Template Upload
The Employer Portal Contribution Template is used to report employee hours, salary, service breaks and more. Download the Employer Portal User Guide for complete instructions.
Here are some helpful tips to ensure your contribution file uploads properly:
- Use a separate row for contributions and terminations. (This includes rehired retirees)
- Make sure the headers and explanation fields are in the exact format as the original template. If you need to, copy and paste from the template to make sure the formatting is the same. The drop-down menus for several columns such as Plan, Record Type, Service Break Code, etc. contain specific formatting that must match the template selections.
- Double Check
- All Employee RAIN ID numbers are entered
- All required columns are completed
- Rehired retiree payments are in the Rehired Retiree Payment (Untaxed) column, not in the regular contribution columns
Submitting Payment & Invoices
WRS cannot accept out-of-balance contributions. Any contribution payments must match the total amount due shown in the Employer Portal. Please do not mail payments without completing the upload process.
Please mail a check to WRS for the total amount of contributions your organization is sending and attach a hard copy of your bill.
If your organization is an agency of the State of Wyoming and submits contributions through the State Auditor’s Office (SAO), the SAO sends your contributions on your agency's behalf.
WRS Cannot Accept Pre-Payment of Contributions
WRS cannot accept pre-payment of contributions, including for elected officials who are terminating or retiring. All retirement contributions must be reported on the Contribution File for the month in which the employee worked the hours the contributions represent.
Different rules may apply to school districts. See further information here...